- Stand erect and lift one leg.
- Twist the leg near the hip joint and the knee, and twine it around the other leg.
- Maintain balance on one leg by focusing at one point in front.
- With the toes of the twisted leg, lock the ankle of the other leg.
- Keep the body straight.
- Once steady, twine your arms around the other. Likewise, twine your hands from the wrists and join the palms against each other. Hold this pose for 5-10 seconds.
- Repeat the same sequence with the other leg and hand.
Tips to remember
- It might be tough to balance initially, so stay close to a wall to support your back till you can balance.
- Press the toe of your raised foot against the floor if you are unable to twist completely around the ankle.
- Strengthens and stretches the ankles and calves.
- Stretches the thighs, hips, shoulders and upper back.
- Improves concentration.
- Improves sense of balance.
Avoid this asana if you have the following symptoms:
- Injuries to knee or arms.