As we get older, we deal with a lot of problems with our body – inside and outside. Aging is a never-ending process and it cannot be stopped. We can, however, control the effects of aging.
Skin is the largest organ in your body and your skin is the first thing that people notice. As you grow older, your skin begins to show signs of aging, which include wrinkles around the eyes and cheeks, jowls, turkey neck, double chin, and others.
The term jowls refers to the flesh along the lower jaw especially when they are fleshy or sagging. When the skin along your lower jawline begins to hang or skin below the jawline, then you have saggy jowls. Similarly, turkey neck is another sign of aging skin. This is the sagging, loose skin on your neck.
We’ve all heard about the wonders of exercises and how good it can be to keep our bodies fit and healthy. Similarly, facial exercises can help with the signs of aging.
7 Facial Exercises For Sagging Jowls And Other Skin Problems
1. Jowl Tightener
This exercise reduces the problems around your jawline. Here’s how you do the exercise.1
- Using both your pinky fingers, hook each one on either side of your mouth.
- Hold both the fingers firmly in place, so that they form a resistance when you say the word “oh.”
- Repeat this for about 60–120 times.
- By doing this simple exercise, you tighten the muscles of the jowls.
2. Jowl And Neck Tightener
This exercise helps both the jowls and the neck. Here’s how you do the exercise.2
- Pull your lips in, wrapping them around the upper and lower teeth.
- Keep the lips in place, smile and hold the pose for about 10 seconds.
- Repeat this exercise 12 times.
3. Neck Lifter
As the name suggests, it strengthens the muscles of the neck. This is a good exercise if you have loose sagging skin on your neck. Here’s how you do the exercise.3
- Curl your tongue back.
- Hold the tongue curled while you also bring the neck back.
- Hold the neck back for 10 seconds.
- Repeat this exercise 20 times.
- You may also move your head up and down from side to side in a “U” pattern.
4. Double Chin Chopper
This exercise addresses the problem of a double chin. Here’s how you do the exercise.4
- While sitting, point your head toward the ceiling, tilting your head back.
- Close your mouth and curl the tip of the tongue up to touch the roof of your mouth.
- While keeping your head in an upward position, open and close your mouth 12 times.
- Make sure that your tongue touches the roof of your mouth every time you close it.
- Lower your head and relax for 20 seconds.
- Repeat the same exercise of 12 times twice.
5. Cheek Lift
This exercise reduces jowls, wrinkles, deep nose or lip crease. This is also good for the neck. Here’s how you do the exercise.5
- Pull your mouth as far as possible to the left. Repeat this pull as far as possible to the right.
- Repeat this 10 times for each side, and try to increase it to 25 times.
- Take care not to pucker the upper lip.
- Look at yourself in the mirror to see if the skin above the upper lip tightens.
- Rapidly repeat this exercise.
6. Tongue Lift For Double Chin
This exercise helps to eliminate double chin. This is also good for firming the neck. Here’s how you do the exercise.6
- Stick your tongue out as far as possible.
- Make a point with your tongue.
- Pull your tongue in and out, rapidly repeating this for about 10 times.
- Increase the number to 20 slowly, and do it twice a day – morning and evening.
7. Tongue Lift For Turkey Neck
This exercise results in a firmer skin under the chin and a smooth neck. Here’s how you do the exercise.7
- Stick out your tongue as wide as possible.
- Look in the mirror to see if the “turkey neck” is involved. If it is not, try extending your tongue even wider.
- Perform the exercise rapidly, starting with 10 times and increasing the number to 20.
- Do the exercise 20 times in the morning and 20 times in the evening.
Do remember that the results of these exercises may vary from person to person and depend on how long these were performed correctly.
Besides these exercises mentioned, it is also important to hydrate yourself. Drinking water is one of the most natural ways of maintaining a healthy skin.
Massaging and exfoliating is also important – the former improves circulation which is good for the skin, and the latter removes the dead cells and dirt. Though these do not help with improving sagging, they do enhance the appearance of the skin. Also, try to limit your exposure to the sun. This will keep your skin from further damage.
So, grow old gracefully with these easy exercises and feel the difference it brings to your skin.
|↑1||Graves, Louisa. Age-Proof: Beauty Alternatives You Need to Know. Archieboy Holdings Publishing Co., 2013.|
|↑2, ↑3, ↑4||Graves, Louisa. Age-Proof: Beauty Alternatives You Need to Know. Archieboy Holdings Publishing Co., 2013.|
|↑5||Horn, Marjo. Looking Great in 21 Days: Natural Facelift – Radiant Skin – Lose Pounds. Allwell Publishing, 2007.|
|↑6, ↑7||Horn, Marjo. Looking Great in 21 Days: Natural Facelift – Radiant Skin – Lose Pounds. Allwell Publishing, 2007.|