Looking good is not the only role your glutes have to do. You need to have well-shaped and strong butt muscles to carry out daily activities without burdening your lower back. Your booty is made of the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and minimus. If you are keen on having a curvy and tight butt, you need to work on all of these muscles. Here are 7 exercises that will fire up every muscle fiber in your glutes.
1. All Fours Leg Kick
This exercise engages not only your glutes but also your upper and lower body along with the core.
- Start by bending down on all fours with a flat back.
- Place your wrists stretched below your shoulders and knees below your hips.
- Lift your right leg and extend it sideways by kicking it outwards.
- Bring back the right leg to the initial position.
- Do 20 kicks on one side.
2. Jump Squats
Squats are unrivaled as the best exercise for glutes and lower body. Jump squats are more advanced than the standard ones. They focus on your quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and calves.
- Stand with your legs spread wider than your hip-width and the feet pointing outwards.
- Start your downward decent by squatting low.
- Keep descending until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- From this position, throw yourself up in the air and return to the standard squat pose.
- Do it for 15 reps.
Although the bridge pose looks like an easy-peasy exercise, it’s one of the most efficient moves for the entire body and especially the glutes. It strengthens the midsection, butt, hips, and lower back and can be included in any fitness routine.1
- Begin by lying on your back with knees bent and feet planted hip-width apart.
- Squeeze your glutes and push your heels to lift your hips up high.
- Hold for 10 seconds.
- Lower down slowly.
- Repeat 20 times.
4. Weighted Walking Lunges
Lunges are effective in working the booty just like squats. Weighted walking lunges would need you to have two dumbells in both hands to make them more intense. However, if you have problems with balance, avoid using weights and instead use your own body weight.
- Stand straight holding two dumbbells in your hands by your sides.
- Put your right leg 2 feet ahead of your left leg and lower your upper body down.
- Keep your core engaged and your spine straight while descending.
- Your knees should be placed behind your toes and your right thigh parallel to the ground in this position.
- Now push up and go back to the starting position.
- Switch sides and do it for 3 sets of 5 lunges each.
5. Mountain Climber Exercise
A terrific exercise that’s a combination of both cardio and strength training, mountain climber exercise fires up your heart rate, deltoids, biceps, triceps, chest, obliques, abdominals, quads, hamstrings and hip abductors.2
- Start in a plank position and keep your core engaged.
- Now pull your right knee towards your chest while you feel your abs tighten.
- Squeeze your glutes and pull your shoulders away from your ears.
- Quickly pull the left knee in as you stretch the right leg back.
- Increase the pace at which you switch and pull the legs in.
- You should appear like a mountain climber on his ascent.
6. Barbell Deadlift
Deadlifts are the most important and efficient weight lifting exercise. It not only increases the rate of fat burn but also strengthens your body from within. It’s best to try this under the supervision of an expert though.
- Load the barbell and keep it against your shins.
- Grab the bar while you bend at your hips and knees.
- Your hands should be at shoulder-width on the bar for a better range of motion.
- Without allowing your lower body to round, pull up the torso as you stand with the barbell.
- Keep your glutes squeezed during this movement.
- Lower the bar and repeat the exercise 5 more times.
7. Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift
The single-leg Romanian deadlift builds flexibility and strength in the gluteus muscles, hamstrings, and adductors. All you need is a dumbbell or a kettlebell.3
- Stand upright with your arms on your sides.
- Hold the dumbbell in your left arm.
- Now start bending forwards at the hip.
- Your right leg should be firmly placed on the ground while the left leg is extended backward.
- Keep the back straight and return the original standing position.
- Repeat this 5 time and change sides.
If you are suffering from any pain or weakness of the knee joint, it’s best that you avoid exercises that involve any sort of jumping, kicking, lunging or squatting motion. These motions will exert more strain on your knees which could exacerbate the pain and even cause injury.
On the other hand, all the above exercises are fine if you have adequate knee strength. Incorporate these booty fat-blasting moves and you will find your butt getting more curvaceous and toned with practice.
|↑1||Grand, Tamara. Ultimate Booty Workouts: Exercises to Build, Lift and Sculpt an Amazing Butt. Ulysses Press. January, 2014|
|↑2||Howe, Rachel. The Best Butt Exercises for Women: The Illustrated Guide to the Only 15 Exercises You Need for the Perfect Behind. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2013|
|↑3||Cooray, Camilet. How to Have a Better Butt. Lulu Press. April, 2013|