Just when you think it is not a bad idea to show off your legs at a party, you realize how odd your thighs look in spite of working out. This is probably because you did not do exercises that are specific for your thighs. If you’ve missed out on showing those great legs, here’s your chance to get in shape and grab the next opportunity that comes your way.
To tone your inner thighs, it is important to involve all parts of your legs including the quadriceps. Here are a few exercises and yoga poses that can tone and strengthen your inner thighs making you look fit and sexy.
The clamshell exercise can strengthen your hips and thighs and can also stabilize the pelvic muscles. This exercise may also help with injury treatment, especially the lower back. This is also a great exercise for your glutes.
- Lie down on the floor, on your side, with your knees bent at a 45-degree angle.
- Make sure your legs and hip bones are stacked.
- Resting your head on the lower arm, use your free arm to steady your body frame.
- Keep your feet touching and raise your upper knee as high as you can without moving your hip and the lower leg off the floor.
- Return your leg back to the initial position.
- You can repeat this exercise 12–15 times on one side and the same on the other.
2. First Position
Don’t be intimidated by the name of this inner thigh exercise because it may be associated with the terms used in a ballet class. First position exercise does not require you to be a dancer at all. These work your inner thighs, glutes, and knees.
- Place your heels together and make a “V” with your feet.
- Bend slightly at the knees and rotate your thighs out so your knees are over your toes.
- You can either hold the position or bend and straighten the knees several times.
- If you want to take it a step further, you can stand on your toes keeping your heels together and bending slightly at the knees.
3. Side Plank With Leg Lifts
This exercise requires you to know the plank position. This exercise works both the legs and focuses on the abductor muscles in the hips and the inner thigh muscles.
- Come on your side and get into the side plank position – stacking your legs on top of one another and making sure your arm is parallel with the shoulder blade.
- Pull yourself up, maintaining balance.
- Now, lift your top leg and lower it down after every lift.
- In this exercise, you are also using the inner thighs of the leg that is maintaining your body from falling.
4. Bridge Pose
Bridge pose, a popular pose in yoga, can be used to strengthen your inner thigh muscles if you carry it out correctly. It can also strengthen and relax the back muscles.
- Lie down on your back on the floor.
- Fold your knees, your feet on the floor keeping them hip distance apart.
- Keep your arms on the side, palms facing down.
- Inhaling, lift your lower back, middle back, and upper back off the floor. Make sure your thighs are parallel.
- Hold this posture for a few seconds to a minute.
- Exhaling, bring your body back to the original position.
5. Reverse Warrior Pose
The reverse warrior pose strengthens the torso, opens the hips, and builds lower body strength. This is another yoga pose that can help tone your inner thighs. To know about the reverse warrior pose, you need to know the warrior pose first.
Steps For Warrior Pose:
- Stand straight with your legs wide apart.
- Turn your right foot out by 90 degrees and your left foot in.
- Align the heel of your right foot with the center of the left foot.
- Lift your arms sideways with your palms facing up.
- Turn your head and look to the right.
- Breathe slowly.
- Breathing out, bring your hands down from the sides.
- Repeat the same pose on the left side.
Steps For Reverse Warrior Pose:
- From the warrior pose (right knee bent), bring your left hand to rest on your left leg.
- Inhaling, bring your right arm up toward the ceiling.
- Look straight ahead or up toward the ceiling.
- Keep the right knee bent, pressing the feet.
- Sink your hips down toward the floor and relax the shoulders.
- Hold this position for 2–5 breaths and release.
- Repeat the same on the other side.
So, try these easy exercises and yoga poses at home to tone the muscles of your inner thighs. If you have an existing health condition, you may want to consult your doctor before trying out any new exercise or yoga pose. It is always better to begin a new exercise routine under the guidance of a professional trainer to do them the right way.