Scent is a powerful sense and can really take us to a different place. Ever caught a whiff of your partner’s cologne or perfume while in public and immediately thought of them? Scent has a way of setting a mood, forming a memory, and even improving our health.
If you’re not familiar with essential oils, let me give you a quick rundown. Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts.
It takes a lot of plants to come up with the smallest amount of essential oils – which could explain the high cost. For example, it takes 4,000 pounds of Bulgarian roses to produce one pound of oil.
Essential oils have been found to have healing effects for mental, physical, and emotional health. Considering there is such a large shift towards natural remedies, it’s no wonder that more and more people are opting for the power of essential oils to aid in their ailments.
There is a coworker of mine who has jumped on the essential oil train. You see, she suffered from migraines and headaches and just wasn’t comfortable taking medication all the time
She was put in touch with someone who specializes in essential oils and began using them – and trust me when I say she’s a believer. She told me that since she began using them she doesn’t suffer from headache or at least when one comes on she knows how to rid of it with the right oil.
I like to consider myself an open-minded person, so I decided to give it a try, too. I had a headache one day, so she indicated to me where I should place the oil. I must say the headache did clear, and the oils were very calming indeed.
Top Ten Essential Oils
There are so many different essential oils out there that you need to do some homework before you dive right in. Note that essential oils should never be applied directly to the skin as they can irritate the skin due to their high concentration. Instead they should be diluted either with water or carrier oil like almond oil.
1. Tea tree: Good for treating skin fungus, such as athlete’s foot, and blemishes
3. Calendula: Good for sensitive skin and can help reduce the appearance of acne.
4. Chamomile: Relaxing oil, can promote sleep.
5. Peppermint: Promotes energy, increases mental alertness, good for headaches and pain, can be ingested for better digestion.
6. Frankincense: Good for relaxation, and for healing cuts and bug bites.
7. Oregano: Immune-booster, can be taken orally to fight off colds and flu.
8. Lemon: Promotes mental alertness and detoxification of the body, increases focus, and can prevent fleas on pets.
9. Grapefruit: Similar to lemon oil, can combat fatigue and the effects of jet lag, can be added to household cleaners to disinfect areas.
10. Eucalyptus: Can help improve breathing as a result of allergies or colds, known to stimulate the immune system. When added to a vaporizer, can break up mucus and congestion. Because eucalyptus is very strong, it should always be diluted and never digested.
These are just 10 common essential oils but the list is endless.
I think the hype around essential oils are that they are natural, so people feel safe using them
Have you ever tried essential oils before? I would love to hear about your own experiences, so leave me a note below!