Blackheads are a mild form of acne and commonly appear on the face. They form when your hair follicles get clogged by dead skin cells and natural oil called sebum. Blackheads are called so because the skin over the bumps formed due to clogged follicles opens up and gets exposed to the air, making them look black. They can be quite hard to get rid of. And while there are a number of prescription medications you can try, natural remedies are always the safest.
Egg white happens to be great for treating blackheads at home. It contains an enzyme called lysozyme, which tightens the skin and causes pores to shrink, reducing the accumulation of dead cells and sebum. This not only helps treat blackheads but also reduces the signs of aging. Egg white also contains many vitamins and amino acids that nourish the skin and promote the generation of new skin cells. Its proteins get rid of the excess sebum on your face, preventing more blackheads from forming.
Now that you know how egg whites can help eliminate blackheads, here are 5 simple but effective ways of using it for blackheads.
5 Home Remedies For Blackheads Using Egg White
1. Egg White Mask
- Crack open 2 eggs in a bowl, and separate the egg whites from the yolks.
- Then, beat the egg whites thoroughly.
- Cut up strips of tissue paper, and set them aside.
- Apply a thin coat of the egg whites on your face, and place the tissue paper strips on it. Repeat this step once.
- Then, apply a final layer of egg whites and allow the mask to dry completely.
- Once the mask is dry, peel it off gently and rinse your face thoroughly with plain water.
- Do this a few times a week till your blackheads are gone.
2. Egg White And Honey Mask
While this may seem quite icky, an egg white and honey mask works great because both ingredients in combination prevent the growth of bacteria that feed on your dead skin cells. This, in turn, clears the blackheads on your face and prevents new ones.
- Crack open an egg in a bowl.
- Then, separate the egg white from the yolk carefully.
- Whisk the egg white thoroughly, and add 1 tbsp of raw honey to it.
- Apply about 2–3 layers of this mixture on your face using a cotton ball.
- Leave it on for about 15–20 minutes.
- Then, rinse thoroughly with plain water.
- Do this a few times a week to clear your face right up.
3. Egg White And Lemon Juice Mask
Lemon juice contains citric acid, which works great for unclogging the pores on your skin and preventing blackheads.
- Break an egg in a bowl, and remove the yolk carefully.
- Whisk the egg white thoroughly, and add 1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice to it.
- Mix well and apply about 2–3 coats of this mixture using a soft brush.
- Allow it to dry completely.
- Then, rinse thoroughly with plain water.
- Do this a few times a week and watch your blackheads disappear.
4. Egg White And Sugar Scrub
Sugar works great as an exfoliant thanks to its granular texture. It removes dead skin cells and excess oil from the skin, preventing blackheads.
- Break 2 eggs in a bowl, and separate the egg whites from the yolk carefully.
- Beat the egg whites thoroughly and add 1 tbsp of sugar.
- Apply this mixture on your face gently and massage with your finger tips for a few minutes.
- Then, leave it on for about 15–20 minutes and wash with plain water.
- Do this a few times a week to get rid of your blackheads.
5. Egg White And Tea Tree Oil Mask
Tea tree oil can eliminate the bacteria that feed on dead skin cells and cause blackheads thanks to its antibacterial and antiseptic properties.1
- Crack open an egg in a bowl, and remove the yolk carefully.
- Beat the egg white thoroughly, and add 5–6 drops of tea tree oil to it.
- Mix well and apply the mixture on your face.
- Leave it on for about 10–15 minutes.
- Then, wash it off with plain water.
- Do this a few times a week till you see your blackheads disappearing.
Tips To Keep In Mind
- Use fresh egg whites every time you apply an egg white face mask.
- Avoid applying egg white masks on sensitive areas of your skin like around your eyes and on your eyelids.
- Do a patch test before you try any of these remedies to rule out allergies.
Try these amazing egg white face masks and rid yourself of annoying blackheads.
|↑1||Carson, C. F., K. A. Hammer, and T. V. Riley. “Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil: a review of antimicrobial and other medicinal properties.” Clinical microbiology reviews 19, no. 1 (2006): 50-62.|