Kidney stones are hard, crystalline mineral material formed within the kidney or urinary tract. Also, known as ‘renal calculus’ or ‘nephrolith’ it is commonly passed in the urine, without any symptoms or pain unless very big in its formation. There are many ways that conventional medicine uses to expel kidney stones, but here we will look at a natural remedy.
Did you know that about 17% of the American population develop kidney stone at some time in their life. The risk of developing kidney stones is increasing in both sexes.
Types Of Kidney Stones
- Calcium Stones: This types of stones are made of calcium and oxalate, but are sometimes made of calcium and phosphate.
- Uric Acid Stones: These are usually formed due to higher uric acid in the urine, which means the urine is more acidic. Uric acid can form stones by itself or in combination with calcium.
- Struvite Stones: When ammonia levels increase, it results in the formation of struvite stones. Sometimes, they also contain magnesium and phosphate.
- Cystine Stones: This type of stone formation is rare, and happens mainly in people who have genetic disorder. This occurs mostly when cystine leaks from the kidneys into the urine.1
Home Remedies To Dissolve Kidney Stones Naturally
Here are a few home remedies that help dissolve kidney stones naturally.
1. Increase Your Citric Acid Intake
Lemon juice and lime juice are rich sources of citric acid. Citric acid prevents the formation of calcium stones in the urinary tract. It also helps in reducing the size of kidney stones. As the concentration of citrate ions in lime and lemon is much more than grapefruit juice and orange juice, this makes them ideal drinks to fight kidney stones.2
Other than preventing kidney stones, lime and lemon are excellent sources of vitamin C, B6, potassium, folate, flavonoids. They are also known to fight cancer.
2. Limit Your Intake of Carbonated Beverages
Carbonated soft drinks are associated with increased risk of kidney stones. A study conducted by the American College of Physicians found that people who changed their beverage habits, specifically after abstaining from soda, cut their risk of kidney stones recurrence by about 15 percent. Carbonated drinks are associated with diabetes, hypertension, and kidney stones, all risk factors for chronic kidney disease.3
Opt for healthy beverages like plain drinking water, lime juice, lemon juice etc. Also, beverages like coffee, tea, beer, wine, and orange juice are associated with a lower risk of kidney stones.
3. Get The Calcium You Need
People suffering from kidney stones question whether to stop or reduce their calcium intake. Yes, it’s true that calcium is a major component of kidney stones. However, calcium intake is very rarely the cause of your stone formation. In fact, lack of calcium in your body might actually increase the stone formation. This happens when oxalate, which normally binds with calcium, is easily absorbed in its absence. Higher levels of oxalate increase the risk of kidney stones.4 Make sure to take in an amount of calcium appropriate to your age.
The recommended dietary intake of calcium for an adult is about 1000 mg/day. Milk, yogurt, and cheese are some of the rich natural sources of calcium. Nondairy sources of calcium include vegetables, such as Chinese cabbage, kale, and broccoli.
4. Limit Your Salt Intake
Most Americans consume too much salt. Increased consumption of salt can trigger kidney stones. Calcium stones, one of the types of renal stones, are formed due to high salt diet. A number of studies have shown that the reduction in salt consumption can also reduce re-occurrence of renal stones. Therefore, you should restrict your salt intake because increased sodium in the body causes deterioration of renal function.
Limit your daily intake of salt to about 2300 mg.
DIY: Kidney Stones Removal Drink
- 1 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 9 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 9 oz lemon (use the peel as well)
- 9 oz parsley root, ground
- 9 oz raw organic honey
- Clean the lemon, and cut it into thin slices, and blend well.
- Scrape the parsley root, cut it into small chunks and blend.
- Finally, add raw honey, olive oil, and pure maple syrup and stir until you get a nice and homogeneous mixture.
- Put the mixture in a glass bottle and keep it in the fridge so it does not spoil.
- Take a tablespoon of the remedy every morning before you eat or drink anything and every evening before you go to bed.
- Take 2 doses of the remedy to eliminate sand or stones from your kidneys and gallbladder.
Note: Don’t make huge batches of this, it’s better to make small, fresh batches to reserve its healing properties. This natural remedy tastes delicious and it can be also effective in treating other health conditions, such as infections and bacteria. During the therapy, you should drink a lot of water and liquids.
|↑1||Types of kidney stones. American Kidney Fund.|
|↑2||Penniston, Kristina L., Stephen Y. Nakada, Ross P. Holmes, and Dean G. Assimos. “Quantitative assessment of citric acid in lemon juice, lime juice, and commercially-available fruit juice products.” Journal of Endourology 22, no. 3 (2008): 567-570.|
|↑3||Shuster, J., A. Jenkins, C. Logan, T. Barnett, R. Riehle, D. Zackson, H. Wolfe et al. “Soft drink consumption and urinary stone recurrence: a randomized prevention trial.” Journal of clinical epidemiology 45, no. 8 (1992): 911-916.|
|↑4||Steps for preventing kidney stones. Harvard Health Publications. Harvard Medical School.|