You want to lose your flab but no matter what you do, it doesn’t budge. Or you spend hours at the gym wanting to pump up like a bodybuilder but to no avail. But then there are those friends of yours who never gain weight no matter how much they eat and those who build rippling muscles with the least bit of effort. Story of your life? Well, maybe you should blame your body type – that’s what determines how easily you gain or lose fat and muscles. So depending on your body type, you need to customize your diet and workout routine. But are you an ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph? Or are you a bit of any two? Here’s what you need to know about the three different body types.
Are You An Ectomorph?
Characteristics Of An Ectomorph
- Skinny appearance
- Fast metabolism
- Small chest
- Small joints and bones
- Small buttocks
- Less body fat (without exercising)
- Long limbs
- Small appetite
- Builds muscle with difficulty
- Gains weight with difficulty
For An Ectomorph
- Fuel up on carbohydrates. The majority of the food you consume should be made up of carbohydrates. Do not consume unhealthy sugary drinks just because they consist of carbs. Have a wide variety of carbs such as pasta, sweet potatoes, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, and nuts. You will be able to reach a higher body weight when you increase your calorie intake per day, especially if you want to do some body building.
- Eat more proteins than you normally do. In addition to carbohydrates, you should consume a large amount of proteins as well. Since your main aim will be to gain more weight, your body will require proteins to build muscles as you increase your weight. If you work out, you can consume protein shakes, sprouts, egg, and meat. Exercise caution and do not overdo it.
- Eat every 2 to 3 hours. Since you tend to have a very quick metabolism it is important to eat carbs and proteins at
Workout Tips For An Ectomorph
- You should not do too much of cardio. Since you burn calories quickly, it will be difficult to maintain a healthy body mass index or to build your body if you indulge in too much of cardio.
- Stick to a simple strength training routine. Since strength training also burns calories, do not focus on compound movements.
- Since you are already active, do not work out more than 3 times a week. Take proper rest after each workout session.
Are You A Mesomorph?
Characteristics Of A Mesomorph
- Lean body
- Defined muscles
- Heavy body
- Gains muscles easily
- Gains fats easily
- Hard body
- Rectangular body shape
Diet Tips For A Mesomorph
- Balanced meals should be your focus. Focus on a healthy distribution of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
- Consume 500 calories more than you normally would to gain weight and consume 200 to 500 calories less than you normally would to lose weight.
- Spread your meals (about 4 to 6 meals) throughout the day so that your metabolism rate does not drop.
Workout Tips For A Mesomorph
- You can lift moderate to heavy weights as your muscles are already well defined. If you are a woman, you do not have to worry about bulking up like men do by lifting weights as bulking up requires testosterone.
- Focus on each muscle group while working out, with less rest time in between. Try and do 3 to 4 sets of each exercise.
- You can do some moderate to heavy cardio 2 to 3 times a week to maintain fitness.
- You can workout almost 5 times a week.
Are You An Endomorph?
Characteristics Of An Endomorph
- Soft body
- Short limbs
- Round body
- Slow metabolism
- Loses fat with difficulty
- Gains muscle easily
- Gains fat easily
- Not defined muscles
- Big appetite
Diet Tips For An Endomorph
- Limit your calorie intake. Since you gain fat easily, consuming more calories will make it difficult for you to lose weight. Try consuming smaller portions and spread your meals evenly throughout the day.
- Consume more fiber. If you are an endomorph, your digestion tends to be slow. You need to support your digestive system by consuming fiber. Concentrate on eating beans, broccoli, lentils, legumes, artichokes, Brussels sprouts, berries, while grains, carrots, fruits, and green leafy vegetables.
- Have lean protein. Do not consume proteins that have a high fat content. Have fish, poultry, tofu, and egg whites.
- Have healthy fats such as avocados and nuts but in moderation.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid junk foods and drinks with empty calories.
Workout Tips For An Endomorph
- You need to do at least 30 minutes of cardio every day. If your main aim is to lose fat, then cardio is the best way to achieve your desired results.
- Focus on strength training that involves your entire body. You can start lifting light weights initially and move on to heavier weights as your strength increases.
- You can workout as much as you want, even 7 days a week is acceptable if you are up for it.
Some of you might be a combination of 2 body types. For example, your upper body might be mesomorphic, while your lower body might be endomorphic. Identify your combination and eat and workout accordingly by trying a combination of workout and diet tips. The best way to be healthy is to love who you are and how your body is. Do not compare yourself to others. Instead, maintain discipline and be the best version of yourself.