With its addition to the list of superfoods, broccoli has become one of the highly regarded vegetables in the diet scene. This cruciferous vegetable is known for the numerous benefits it offers. Broccoli contains the pain-easing compound sulforaphane that can fight the enzymes that cause joint problems. This vegetable has a crunchy taste, looks like a miniature tree, and is rich in vitamin C. Broccoli has found to help in warding off rheumatoid arthritis, boost the immune system, and strengthen bones and blood vessels.
To add broccoli to your diet chart, you can always munch on raw broccoli as a snack by dipping it in delicious salad dressings, add it to soups, cook it into stir-fries, roasted mixed vegetables, etc. The topmost, dense green tops of broccoli are most preferred, but you can also eat its stems by slicing off the tough outer layer.
Healthy Recipes With Broccoli
Brown Rice And Vegetable Stir-Fry
Broccoli is a healthy and tasty addition to stir-fry as it absorbs
1. 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice (100 g)
2. 1/2 head of broccoli, chopped
3. 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
4. 1/2 chopped zucchini
5. 1 cup chopped red cabbage (80 g)
6. 4 cloves of garlic, minced
7. 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
8. 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
9. 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
10. 1/8 tsp cayenne powder
11. Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
1. Cook the brown rice according to the directions provided on the package.
2. Take a wok or a frying pan and boil some water in it.
3. Add the veggies (they must be covered by the boiling water) and cook them for a couple of minutes over high heat. Drain the veggies and set them aside.
4. Heat oil in the wok or the pan. Add garlic, cayenne powder, and parsley.
5. Cook over high heat for a minute and stir occasionally.
7. Add the sesame seeds for garnishing.
8. You can store the brown rice stir-fry in a sealed container or in the fridge up to 5 days.
1. You can use other grains, veggies, and spices according to your choice. You can also use any other non-refined oil.
2. To make the dish oil-free, just cook the garlic, parsley, and cayenne powder in some water or oil-free broth.
3. If you don’t like to have it spicy, add very less cayenne powder or just omit it.
Sometimes you crave for tater tots but don’t know how to have it healthy. Broccoli tots could be your new go-to snack or a side dish.
1. 2 medium heads broccoli, cut into florets
2. 1 egg + 1 egg white
3. 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
4. ½ cup small diced onion
5. ½ cup small diced yellow bell pepper
7. Salt and ground fresh pepper to taste
8. Olive oil or cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Take a nonstick baking sheet and grease it with cooking spray or olive oil.
3. Take a large pot and add water to it. Bring the water to a boil.
4. Add salt and broccoli florets and cook them for 3 to 5 minutes in the boiling water until they become tender.
5. Drain the broccoli and blend them in the food processor for a few seconds.
6. Transfer the broccoli to a kitchen towel and wring them out.
7. Squeeze as much water out as you can.
8. Take a medium bowl, add all the ingredients to it, and mix them well.
9. Take 1 or 2 tablespoons of the mixture depending on what size you want your tots to be and use your hands to make them into the shape of tots.
10. Place them on the greased baking sheet with the
11. Bake them for 20-25 minutes. Turn them and bake them again for 20 minutes or until they become crispy.
12. Serve them with your preferred dip.
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
Chicken and broccoli pasta is a simple dinner especially meant for people with busy schedules.
1. 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
2. 2 cups raw, bite-size broccoli florets
3. 1 cup heavy cream
4. 1 14.5 oz. can low-sodium chicken broth
5. 1 Tbsp. olive oil
6. 3 Tbsp. flour
7. 3 Tbsp. butter
8. 1/2 tsp. salt
9. 1/4 tsp. black pepper
10. 1/3 cup of good white wine
11. 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
12. 1/3 cup of Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
13. 9 oz. fresh fettuccine, cooked as per package directions
1. Take a large skillet and heat oil over medium heat.
2. Add the chicken breast chunks to the pan and season them
3. Saute the chicken and stir them occasionally until they get brown. Remove the chicken from the pan.
4. Melt the butter in the pan.
5. Add garlic to it and saute them for a minute.
6. Add the flour and stir it well to create a roux and saute for a minute.
7. Add wine to it scrape the bottom of the pan lightly to deglaze the pan.
8. Add the heavy cream and broth and stir well.
9. Add the chicken and broccoli to the pan and bring them to a boil.
10. Once it starts boiling, simmer covered for 10 minutes.
11. Once you uncover it, stir in cheese and toss with cooked pasta.
12. Serve hot.
With these delicious broccoli dishes, you will pamper your tummy and keep yourself healthy too.