Medical science has not yet been able to find a cure for asthma, which is why it has been classified as a chronic condition that needs to be managed constantly. When a person suffering from asthma inhales an allergic substance, their airways get constricted which makes it difficult for air to flow into the lungs. This triggers coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath, which are the most common symptoms of an asthma attack.
If you’re someone who is looking for natural ways to manage your asthma, one of the most potent natural treatments can be formulated using a simple kitchen ingredient: garlic. Garlic contains natural compounds such as vitamin C and allicin that neutralize free radicals which promote contraction of the airway muscles in asthma sufferers. It also reduces the release of histamine, a chemical released by the body that is involved in a number of allergic reactions.
While you can use garlic powder or garlic capsules, it is best to prepare the remedy with raw, organic garlic. Here are 10 remedies you can use to keep your asthma under check.
1. Garlic Milk
Warm milk can help soothe the respiratory tract and reduces inflammation. Having garlic with milk is an age old remedy you can use to treat asthma.
- Peel and crush the 8 cloves of garlic.
- Add the crushed garlic to 1/4 cup of milk and bring the mixture to a boil. Make sure to stir constantly with a spatula.
- Strain the garlic from the hot milk and let the milk cool down a bit.
- Drink the garlic milk while it is still warm.
- Repeat this remedy 1 to 2 times a day.
2. Garlic And Ginger Paste
Double the effectiveness of your asthma remedy by combining garlic and ginger. Ginger also helps to decrease inflammation of the respiratory tract and inhibits contraction of the airways which helps to relieve the symptoms of asthma.
- Peel and crush 1 inch of ginger and 3 to 4 cloves of garlic together to form a paste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to it and mix well.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of this mixture 2 to 3 times a day.
3. Garlic And Mustard Oil Rub
You can also make a soothing rub with garlic and mustard oil. The aroma of pure mustard oil increases airflow to the lungs during an asthma attack and makes it easier to cope with the symptoms.
- Crush 3 to 4 garlic cloves and add it to 2 tablespoons of mustard oil.
- Heat the mustard oil for 5 minutes and then let it cool down a bit.
- Massage your chest with this slightly warm garlic mustard oil for few minutes.
- Repeat the process 1 to 2 times a day.
4. Garlic Tea
Did you know you can have garlic in the form of a tea? Here’s how you can take advantage of all the amazing benefits of garlic while sipping on some hot tea.
Crush 3 to 4 cloves of garlic and add it to 2 cups of water.
Heat the water in a sauce pan and turn it off when the water reduces to 1 cup.
Pour the tea into a cup and sip it warm, 3 times in a day.
Note: You can also add 1/2 teaspoon each of honey and lemon juice to enhance the taste.
5. Garlic And Onion Mix
Along with many other anti-inflammatory compounds, onions also contain a flavonoid called quercetin that causes significant dilation of the bronchi.
- Peel a small onion and grate it to form a smooth pulp.
- Crush 4 garlic cloves and mix it with the onion pulp.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of this mixture 1 to 2 times a day.
6. Garlic And Honey Drink
Not a big fan of how raw garlic tastes? Have it with honey. The natural alcohol and oils in honey help to reduce the symptoms of asthma.
- Crush 4 garlic cloves thoroughly.
- Add the garlic paste and 1 tablespoon of honey to 1 glass of warm water and mix well.
- Drink this mixture 3 times a day.
7. Garlic Oil
If you have asthma, you might want to keep a small bottle of garlic oil handy. Just inhaling the vapors of garlic oil can have a healing effect.
- Sprinkle a few drops of garlic oil on a tissue or paper towel.
- Breathe in the vapors of the garlic oil before going to bed.
- You can also add a few drops of garlic oil in a pot of boiling water and inhale the steam.
8. Garlic Oil And Eucalyptus Oil Steam
Make the remedy more potent by using eucalyptus oil with garlic oil. The strong scent of eucalyptus oil opens up the blocked airways. A compound present in eucalyptus oil known as eucalyptol breaks down phlegm and mucous in the system and allows you to breathe smoothly.
- Heat a pot of water.
- Add few drops of eucalyptus oil and garlic oil to it.
- Inhale the vapors coming from the pot for few minutes.
- Repeat regularly.
9. Garlic And Turmeric
The anti-inflammatory and healing properties of turmeric have been known to practitioners of traditional medicine for thousands of years. The anti-allergy properties of turmeric prevent asthma triggers caused by allergies.
- Peel one inch of turmeric root and crush it with some water to form a paste.
- Crush 4 to 5 garlic cloves and add it to the turmeric paste and mix well.
- Consume 1 tablespoon of this mixture.
- Repeat the process 1 – 2 times a day for few days.
10. Garlic And Carom Seeds
Carom seeds, also known as Bishop’s weed, works as a natural bronchodilator that dilates the bronchial tubes in the lungs and helps to treat mild asthma.
- Crush 4 to 5 garlic cloves.
- Add the crushed garlic and 1 teaspoon of carom seeds in 1 glass of water.
- Bring the mixture to boil.
- Drink this concoction or inhale its steam.
- Repeat the process regularly.
Though many traditional and folk medicinal practices recommend garlic, always talk to your doctor about using these remedies and do not discontinue treatment on account of the above remedies.