Chocolate smoothies are undoubtedly irresistible. Apart from elevating your mood, chocolate comes with a wide range of health benefits. It can improve your blood flow and keep your heart healthy, lowers risk of diabetes, improves skin health, and has anti-inflammatory properties.1
Although it is believed that chocolate must be avoided when you want to lose weight, dark chocolate can aid weight loss. It can improve satiety and reduce your craving to eat something sweet and can also suppress your energy intake as compared to white chocolate.2
Chocolate Smoothie Recipes To Help You Lose Weight
Here are 5 delectable smoothie recipes to elevate your mood and help you lose weight:
1. Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie
Raspberries can aid weight loss. They contain a compound called raspberry ketone that is responsible for fat metabolism. Eating raspberries can help your body break down and dispose of fat easily.3 This raspberry and chocolate smoothie is low-fat and contains fiber, helping to keep you full for longer.
- ½ cup skim milk
- 170 grams vanilla yogurt
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup raspberries
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend for 1 minute
- Add ice and blend to make it smooth.
- Serve it in a glass
You can use soy milk instead of skim milk.
2. Chocolate Banana Smoothie
This smoothie is rich in nutrients as it contains almonds and almond milk. The chocolate banana smoothie is protein rich, and a great drink for people who cannot tolerate dairy products.
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 10 almonds
3. Chocolate, Banana and Almond Milk Smoothie
Packed with natural proteins, this smoothie contains bananas that are filling fruits and contain resistant starch which can boost your metabolism. Bananas also act like natural sweeteners in this smoothie and give it a smooth and creamy texture.4
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon fat-free chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Add banana, chocolate syrup, and almond butter to the almond milk in a blender.
- Blend well to form a smooth mixture.
- Add ice to make it cold and serve in a glass.
4. Chocolate, Peanut Butter, And Banana Smoothie
Peanut butter is a popular ingredient that contains good fat and is nutritious. Not only does it taste great, it is also rich in protein and fiber that can aid weight loss. Unless you are allergic to peanuts, this delicious smoothie is a great breakfast option for those wanting to lose weight.
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 cup original almond milk
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Peel and slice the bananas and freeze them.
- In a blender, add all the ingredients including the frozen bananas and ice.
- Blend it well and serve it immediately.
Use well-ripened bananas to add sweetness to your smoothie but avoid using overripe ones.
5. Chocolate Mint Smoothie
Mint leaves are known to enhance the flavor of the food. In this smoothie, mint leaves can aid both digestion and weight loss. A good alternative to regular milk, coconut milk can help you build muscle and lose fat. Additionally, apple can provide you with overall health benefits.
- 1 peeled banana
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 6 to 8 mint leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- Chop the apple into small pieces.
- Add apple to all the ingredients in the blender
- Add ice to it and blend well.
- Serve it cold in a glass.
6. Chocolate And Strawberry Smoothie
Strawberry and chocolate make an amazing pair. Low in calories, strawberries give the smoothie a unique taste while packing it with antioxidants.
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1 cup ice
- Mix coconut milk, strawberries, and dark cocoa powder in a blender.
- Blend to form a smooth and frothy drink.
- Serve it cold in a glass.
7. Chocolate And Chia Seeds Smoothie
Chia seeds are considered ideal for weight loss. It can keep you full, without adding any calories. Also, as chia seeds are rich in protein, it can reduce the cravings, thus helping you lose weight.5
- 1 cup cow’s milk or soy milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups of cut cherries
- 1 ripe banana
- Blend everything together with ice.
- Pour it into a glass and serve.
Note: Avoid using sugar in your smoothies. Instead, use natural sweeteners like honey but in moderation.
|↑1||Khan, Nasiruddin, Olha Khymenets, Mireia Urpí-Sardà, Sara Tulipani, Mar Garcia-Aloy, María Monagas, Ximena Mora-Cubillos, Rafael Llorach, and Cristina Andres-Lacueva. “Cocoa polyphenols and inflammatory markers of cardiovascular disease.” Nutrients 6, no. 2 (2014): 844-880.|
|↑2||Sørensen, Lone Brinkmann, and Arne Astrup. “Eating dark and milk chocolate: a randomized crossover study of effects on appetite and energy intake.” Nutrition & diabetes 1, no. 12 (2011): e21.|
|↑3||Gajraj A. R. he 3 Week Weight Loss Guide: How I lost 15lbs in 3 weeks with simple tips, hints and recipes. BookRix, 2013.|
|↑4||Wan Elizabeth. Healthy Smoothie Recipes for Weight Loss 2nd Edition. Booktango, 2015.|
|↑5||Reyes Rachel. Look Good, Feel Good, and Be Healthy: Top 10 Superfoods You Should Be Eating Right Now. SIS Information, LLC, 2015.|