I ate a primarily plant-based diet (i.e., vegan) for about 5–6 years. It was the best decision as my body was dying for nutrients that a 100% plant-based eating lifestyle can provide.
At the time, my stress levels were overflowing and the boost of vitamins and nutrients were helpful in healing.
Is A Vegan Diet Wholesome?
But, years down the road, my hormones went completely out of whack (that’s not to say that I didn’t invite stress into my life, because that certainly happened).
However, the “typical” vegan diet can lack essential fats if you’re not conscious in providing that component to every meal. So, about a year ago, I started incorporating eggs into my diet and shortly after, meat.
Did You Say Fat Is Essential?
In my studies in nutrition, I started to learn more about the importance of fat, especially when it came to women’s health. We’ve spent many years promoting the low-fat diet, which, however, ended up incorporating more sugar to compensate for the lack of flavor and depth that low-fat foods bring.
Such a big FAT mistake — then came the rise in obesity due to
What happened when I started to consciously add more fat to my diet?
- I was sleeping better. Like a dramatic shift.
- I had no after-meal bloating (this was a compliment to my moderate paleo eating lifestyle as well)
- My blood sugar imbalances were leveled. I couldn’t believe it!
- My PMS symptoms reduced — less cramps, regular flow, no night sweats, and so on.
- I was ovulating regularly. (I’m not trying to get pregnant, but this process is essential for women’s health.)
I’m not trying to advocate against a plant-based diet here. In fact, I would say that 90% of my plate will always incorporate vegetables in abundance since they play such an important part in optimal health.
What Good Does Fat Do?
- Fat is an essential ingredient in our bodies to give us energy and help with brain functioning, and it is required to help the body produce sex hormones.
- Cholesterol, that is found in fat, is a precursor of almost every single hormone in your body. So, if your cholesterol is too low, then how are you going to make the hormones?
- And the right
Top 5 Best Sources Of Fat
1. Coconut Oil And Coconut Milk
My absolute favorite type of oil is coconut oil since, for a fat, it is so versatile. I use it for cooking but also to wash makeup.
Then comes coconut milk, which makes such a great addition to coffee, smoothies, and soups.
Especially for you plant-based-diet lovers out there, nuts have the prefect complement of protein and healthy fats that are amazing as energy and great for your skin, hair, nails, and digestive system.
This may be the easiest ingredient of all. Olives are 80–85% of monounsaturated fat, which makes them the perfect fat-fuel. There are two ways that I eat olives — I just simply snack on them or I toss them into a zucchini pasta with chili flakes, sea salt, and pepper — so simple, so yum.
Avocados have been touted as the perfect food. There is a boat-load of amazing fats and nutrition
I would almost say that eggs are pretty much the perfect food, similar to avocados. They are a great combination of fat and protein, and something as easy as a hard-boiled egg can make the perfect snack on the go.
But, remember: don’t waste your time on just egg whites. It is critical to get your hands on the yolk as most of the nutrition is found there. Also, if possible, choose organic and free-range eggs.