Ayurveda has answers to every skin problem. The formulations have also been used since ages to enhance beauty. Unlike commercially available beauty products which are loaded with chemicals, Ayurveda can do wonders with as less as just one natural ingredient. These face packs are made up of Indian gooseberry, avocado, and papaya since they promote various skin benefits.
Skin Benefits Of Natural Ingredients
Benefits Of Indian Gooseberry
1. Treats Pigmentation And Lightens Complexion
Also known as Amla, Indian Gooseberry cleanses your skin and prevents and treats pigmentation. While topical application of the paste of powdered amla lightens the marks, consuming its juice detoxes your body. This detoxifying effect cleanses your body from within, preventing acne breakouts.
The high amount of vitamin-C lightens your complexion by boosting your skin health.
2. Prevents Aging
Amla protects your skin from the harmful UV-B rays, which are one of the primary causes of aging. It has a pro-collagen (a protein in skin tissue) content which supports the renewal of tissues, making your skin look youthful.1 It also repairs the damaged tissue, treating scaly and flaky skin.
The antioxidant properties and vitamin-C, together, fight the free radicals. Free radicals speed up the aging process, resulting in fine-lines, wrinkles, and dark spots.2
3. Fights Microbes
Microbes are ubiquitous and impact our skin in every way possible. Though our immune system fights these effectively, the sebum and dirt on our skin provide a ground for microbial breeding. This leads to various skin problems like acne, pimples, and rashes. Amla has anti-microbial properties and curbs the action of microbes, keeping problems at bay.3
Benefits Of Papaya
1. Hydrates Skin
Having a high amount of water content, papaya hydrates your skin. It works best on both dry and oily skin. While it moisturizes the dry skin and makes it soft and supple; the enzymes present ward off the excess oil, regulating the moisture level of oily skin.
2. Prevents Aging And Clears Pigmentation
The phytochemicals, beta-carotene, and enzymes act as skin lightening agents. They work well on acne scars, freckles, and uneven pigmentation, promoting a clear skin. The enzyme papain, along with alpha-hydroxy acids, kills the inactive proteins and gets rid of dead cells. This makes your skin soft, supple, and fair. Papain also helps you get rid of tan and dark circles.
Retin-A present in papaya peel promotes youthfulness to the skin. The vitamins and enzymes remove dead cells and support the regeneration of new skin. This prevents the signs of aging like wrinkles and fine-lines.4
Benefits Of Avocado
1. Reduces Harmful Effects Of UV Exposure
Be it indoors or outdoors, our skin is constantly exposed to UV rays. These rays cause free-radical damage to your skin, speeding up the aging process. Avocados are rich in vitamin-E, which kill these free radicals, promoting anti-aging benefits.
2. Regenerates Damaged Skin
Avocados are loaded with monounsaturated fatty acid called oleic acid. It moisturizes the epidermal layer of the skin and prevents dryness. It is also involved in the regeneration of damaged skin thereby treating redness and irritation.
Ayurvedic Face Packs For Instant Glow
1. Amla And Papaya Face Pack
- Dried Amla powder, 2 tsp
- Ripe papaya, diced, 1 cup
- Mix the dried amla powder and papaya in a small bowl to form a smooth paste.
- You can alternatively blend them together to avoid any lumps.
- The paste looks dark brown or green in color.
- Apply the paste on your face and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off gently with cold water and pat dry.
- Use this pack thrice a week to see a quick and visible difference.
2. Avocado And Amla Face Pack
- Dried Amla powder, 2 tsp
- Scooped avocado, 2 tsp
- Mix dried amla powder in hot water to form a paste of not-so-runny consistency.
- Add avocados to this paste and mix thoroughly.
- After washing your face with a mild soap, apply this paste in a circular motion.
- Massage gently for 5 minutes to exfoliate and moisturize your skin.
- Let it stay for 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
3. Papaya And Avocado Face Pack
- Ripe avocado, 1/2 scooped
- Ripe papaya, 3 tsp
- Olive oil, 1 tsp
- Mash avocados and papaya together in a small bowl.
- Add olive oil to this mixture.
- Apply this paste on your face and leave it for 15 minutes
- Wash with lukewarm water and pat dry.
- This pack works well on both dry and oily skin.
4. Avocado Mask
- Ripe avocado, 1 full
- Coconut oil, 1 tsp
- Blend avocados to form a smooth paste and add coconut oil to it.
- Apply this paste on your face for 15 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water.
- This pack works best on dry skin.
|↑1||Adil, Mushtaq D., Peerzada Kaiser, Naresh K. Satti, Afzal M. Zargar, Ram A. Vishwakarma, and Sheikh A. Tasduq. “Effect of Emblica officinalis (fruit) against UVB-induced photo-aging in human skin fibroblasts.” Journal of Ethnopharmacology 132, no. 1 (2010): 109-114.|
|↑2||Mishra, Poonam, Sanjay Mishra, and Charu Lata Mahanta. “Effect of maltodextrin concentration and inlet temperature during spray drying on physicochemical and antioxidant properties of amla (Emblica officinalis) juice powder.” Food and Bioproducts Processing 92, no. 3 (2014): 252-258.|
|↑3||Ahmad, Iqbal, Zafar Mehmood, and Faiz Mohammad. “Screening of some Indian medicinal plants for their antimicrobial properties.” Journal of ethnopharmacology 62, no. 2 (1998): 183-193.|
|↑4||Baker Jr, James R., and Susan M. Ciotti. “Anti-aging and wrinkle treatment methods using nanoemulsion compositions.” U.S. Patent Application 13/229,080, filed September 9, 2011.|