Ayurveda is one of the first systems of medicine to promote, and even celebrate, the pursuit of physical beauty as something essential to your wellbeing. In Ayurveda, making the effort to enhance your physical beauty isn’t considered vanity. Instead, “it’s a matter of treating your indwelling spiritual being like royalty.”
One of the most inspiring aspects of Ayurvedic ingredients is that if you cannot consume them internally, they aren’t used on your skin. Each Ayurvedic skincare recipe and face mask is natural and even edible! And beauty, the Ayurveda way, is also tremendously liberating and cost-effective.1 2
Marigolds To Uplift Your Five Senses
Marigolds are the color of the sun, which is considered a symbol of the indwelling spirit. The flowers are thus a representation of the inner spiritual fire. In India, marigolds are generally offered to people whom you really respect, like teachers or elders, and also exchanged by the bride and groom during a wedding.
These flowers have an uplifting guna (quality) of the mind called Sattva, which is synonymous with clarity, mental balance, harmony, and peace. Sattva is our true nature, and cultivating it helps us get in touch with our own spirituality. Marigolds are, therefore, a deeply uplifting flower.
At a physical level, marigolds are a great friend of your five senses. Each part of the flower can be used to uplift your senses in different ways. Here are a few examples:
- Smelling a marigold flower can uplift your spirits when you’re suffering from chronic depression or sadness. During periods of grief, such as a death in the family, loved ones are offered garlands of marigold flowers as smelling them can help overcome grief.
- You can apply the fresh leaf paste of marigolds with cotton wool on your eyelids for about 10 minutes to reduce eye inflammation.
- The flowers treat any issues in the mouth and improve the sense of taste. Add marigold petals to hot water to enjoy a wonderful tea that treats heat and inflammation in your stomach. This tea is also great for duodenal or gastric ulcers, diarrhea, liver issues, herpes, and hepatitis.
- Marigolds are a wonderful rejuvenating, anti-redness, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiseptic agent. They serve as a natural moisturizer and keep wrinkles at bay. They also prevent excess oiliness and sunburn. Marigolds are the perfect solution for skin problems as they work on all skin types.
1. Marigold Face Mask For All Skin Types
- Marigold petals
- Chickpea flour
- Green gram flour
- Grind 20 marigold petals with a mortar and pestle.
- Add 1/2 tsp of honey to enhance the marigold’s inherent antibacterial properties.
- Add 1/2 tsp of milk to the mixture. This helps keep your skin smooth and soft. Note that cow’s milk can be particularly soothing for sensitive or mature skin.
- Add 1/4 tsp of chickpea flour to the mixture. This flour lightens your complexion, providing an instant glow to your skin. It also has a cooling potency and absorbs excess sebum; this is useful if you have oily skin.
- Add 1/4 tsp of green gram flour to the mixture. This flour retains the natural moisture of your skin by bringing it to a perfect balance of dryness and oiliness. It is also cooling, gently exfoliates your skin, and removes unwanted facial hair.
- Mix all of these ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Apply the mask on your skin, moving your fingers in an upward direction.
Roses For Your Heart And Skin
Not only are roses beautiful to look at, to give, and to receive, but they are also considered hrdaya in Sanskrit, which means they strengthen your heart. Both the physical heart and our emotions get uplifted by the sight and smell of roses.
When you experience a lot of heat, anger, exhaustion, and irritability along with an overwhelming feeling, use roses to soothe and relieve your mind, body, and heart. The flowers are also known to be varnya, which means they enhance your complexion. Hence, they are excellent for a reddened and inflamed skin.
2. Rose Exfoliator for All Skin Types
- Rose water
- Slightly granulated rock candy
- Mix 1/4 drop of rose water with 1/4 tsp milk and 1/2 tsp rock candy.
- Add 1/4 tsp honey if you have oily skin or 1/4 tsp ghee if you have dry skin.
- Mix thoroughly to form a paste.
- Exfoliate your face by applying the paste.
- Rub gently with both hands and rinse with warm water after a few minutes.
- Moisturize your skin later with a lotion of your choice. You can also wash your face with green gram flour instead.
3. Rose Cleanser
- Rose water
- Mix 1 tsp milk with 1 ¼ tsp rose water in a small bowl or cup.
- Gently splash and rub it onto your face.
- Then, rinse it off with lukewarm water.
Enjoy yourself as you experience the magic of Ayurveda come to life right at home.