Apple cider vinegar (ACV) can do much more than just play the role of a salad dressing. Among its many benefits, one of them is to prevent and reduce dandruff as well. White flakes, hair loss, and itching are some common problems people with dandruff face. Malassezia, the fungus, and many other problems like pollution, improper hygiene, hormonal imbalance, etc. cause dandruff. Although it is not harmful, dandruff can be irritating and embarrassing. Apple cider vinegar is a rich probiotic, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory in nature, and also a mild conditioner for hair. Use this wonder acid and add beauty to your hair.
Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar To Treat Dandruff
Here is a list of methods to treat dandruff with apple cider vinegar. You can use any of them for a healthy scalp and shiny, voluminous hair.
Apple Cider Vinegar
You can directly use ACV on your scalp to treat dandruff.
1. Take a cotton ball, and soak it in apple cider vinegar.
2. Apply the ACV from the cotton ball directly on your scalp.
3. Gently massage your head in circular motion for a few minutes.
4. Wrap your head with a warm towel so that the ACV penetrates into your scalp.
5. Leave it on for an hour and rinse it with water.
6. Repeat twice in a week.
Note: Do not shampoo your head to wash off the ACV application in this process. Also, if you have sensitive skin, open sores, or wounds in your scalp, use ACV with water and spray it on your head and hair.
Apple Cider Vinegar With Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek is known for its anti-fungal properties which helps the scalp in fighting any fungus growth. It also naturally moisturizes and hydrates the scalp.
1. Soak fenugreek seeds in water for 5-6 hours.
2. Strain the water and makes a paste of the fenugreek seeds.
3. Add a few drops of ACV to the fenugreek paste and mix them well.
4. Apply this mixture on the scalp and leave it on for an hour.
5. Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
6. Repeat this process as often as possible.
Apple Cider Vinegar With Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is anti-fungal in nature and kills the fungus Malassezia responsible for dandruff.
1. Take half a cup each of ACV and water.
2. Add 5 drops of tea tree oil to it and mix well.
3. Use a cotton ball to apply the solution on the scalp.
4. Massage for a few minutes gently.
5. Leave it on for 30 minutes.
6. Rinse it with shampoo.
7. Repeat the process once after every two days until the dandruff clears.
Apple Cider Vinegar With Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is known for its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fungal properties. It also helps in soothing and moisturizing the scalp.
1. In a bowl, take 1 cup of aloe vera gel.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1 tablespoon of honey to it.
3. Apply the mixture on the scalp.
4. Leave it on for a few minutes.
5. Rinse it off with shampoo.
6. Repeat the process twice or thrice a month.
Apple Cider Vinegar With Ginger Powder
Ginger is known to be anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory in nature. It helps in restricting the growth of fungus in the head and relieves the head from itchiness.
1. Add 3 parts of ACV and 1 part of ginger powder in a glass bottle.
2. Keep the bottle closed in a cool and dark place for a week.
3. Shake the bottle once everyday so that the ACV gets infused into the ginger powder.
4. After a week, take equal amounts of distilled water and the ginger infused ACV and mix well.
5. Apply the mixture on the scalp and leave it on for 15 – 30 minutes.
6. Rinse it off with shampoo and repeat the process until the dandruff goes completely.
Note: After each usage, store the ACV infused ginger in a refrigerator.
Apple Cider Vinegar With Coconut Oil and Avocado
Coconut oil is extremely beneficial for hair as it prevents dandruff and stimulates hair growth. Avocado has moisturizing properties that helps in nourishing the scalp and prevents dryness and flaking.
1. Take half a cup each of ACV and water.
2. Apply the solution on the scalp and leave it on for 10 minutes.
3. Rinse it off with shampoo.
4. Combine avocado pulp and coconut oil to make a hair mask.
5. Apply the mask on the scalp while the hair is still wet.
6. Massage gently and leave the mixture on for 20-30 minutes.
7. Rinse your hair with shampoo again.
8. Repeat the process once every week.
It is important to use raw, organic, unpasteurized, and unprocessed ACV that contains the mother to get effective results. Also, it is to be noted that apple cider vinegar doesn’t touch your eyes as the fumes might sting the eyes. The smell of ACV wears off once the hair dries, so once doesn’t need to worry about the smell of ACV. Along with these processes, it is always important to maintain a healthy diet so that dandruff can be prevented.