Yoga is amazing for all ages. The benefits can be seen and felt life long! It’s perfectly alright to start yoga in your senior years. Yoga is going to strengthen your muscles, bones, and the mind. It can help you maintain flexibility and balance, as well as keep your emotional well-being.
Yoga Poses For Seniors
The following poses can be done by most people, regardless of age. Try to do these poses 3-4 times a week.
1. Triangle Pose (Trikonasana)
This is a great pose to strengthen the hips and lower abdomen. This feels like a deep stretch for your hamstrings while strengthening your lower muscles.
- Stand with your feet wide apart, maybe keeping a distance of about 4 feet
- Turn your right foot 90 degrees out and your left foot about 15 degrees in. Both heels should be aligned
- Raise your arms till they are parallel to the floor
- Exhale as you dip your body to the right side. This should
- Let your right hand hold whatever part it could reach, like the shin or ankle
- Stretch the left hand towards the ceiling and turn your gaze to the left thumb
- Stay for 30 seconds and reverse the feet
2. Butterfly Pose (Badhakonasana)
This is a comfortable pose that aids in relaxing your bowel movements. It’s also an amazing way to relax tired leg muscles at the end of a long day.
- Sit on the yoga mat in a lotus pose
- Position your feet together in such a way that your soles touch each other
- Now pull your feet as close as possible to the pubic area
- Grasp the feet with your hands, making sure your back is straight and firm
- As you exhale, push your thighs and knees downwards
- Like a butterfly flapping her wings, flap your legs up and down
- Come forward with your elbows resting on the thighs
- Breathe in as you come back up
This pose aims to calm your nerves and relieves a backache. This can help loosen up bowel movements if you have constipation.
- Sit on your heels
- Come forward till your forehead touches the floor
- Keep the arms extended and alongside your head
- Push your chest to the thighs and hold this position
- Come back up slowly
4. Cobra Pose (Bhujangasana)
If you are looking for upper body strength, you need to practice cobra pose. This improves circulation and opens up the arms and shoulders.
- Lie down flat on your stomach
- Take a deep breath in and slowly raise your upper body as your hands remain below the shoulder
- If possible, arch the back and raise your head
- Exhale and go back down slowly
5. Locust Pose (Shalabhasana)
This strengthens your shoulders, arms, and upper body. With regular practice, it makes your back flexible and strong.
- Lie down on your stomach with the arms firmly beside your body
- Inhale as you raise your right leg up
- Hold this position for a few seconds and release
- Do the same for your left leg
- Take a deep breath in and raise both legs now
- Hold this position and release slowly
6. Wind-Relieving Pose (Pawanmuktasana)
As the name suggests, this pose can help to relieve digestive related issues, including flatulence.
- Lie down on your back with your arms and legs extended
- Exhale and pull your knees to the chest with your hands clasped around the knees
- Hold the right knee and release your left leg back down. Stay in this position for a few seconds
- Do the same for the other leg
- If you are up for it, raise your chest and neck, so that your
7. Tree Pose (Vriksasana)
This particular pose aims for better balance and coordination among seniors.
- Stand straight on the yoga mat
- Place your right foot on the inner left thigh, above the knee
- Keep your hands in prayer
- Remain in this position for 5 breaths and do the same for the other foot
8. Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
This can be helpful to relieve lower back pain or sciatic pain.
- Lie down on your back
- Bend your knees and raise your tailbone and buttocks
- Clasp your hands under the pelvis
- Make sure your knees are right over the ankles
- Raise the chest and try to tuck your chin in
If you have arthritis or any sort of health issue, check with your doctor or yoga guru to modify the poses. Just breathe, relax, and let yoga bring out