Grabbing an energy drink when you feel lethargic is certainly convenient. Unfortunately, this can take a toll on your health and this highly caffeinated and sugary drink can have serious side effects. It can lead to palpitations, cardiac arrest, insomnia, and increased anxiety.1
Why use artificial stimulants when there are healthier ways to boost your energy? Fruits and vegetables contain natural sugars and are rich in vitamins and minerals that play a key role in increasing your energy levels.
All-Natural Energy Drinks To Fuel Your Body
These easy-to-make and inexpensive drinks can keep you active and give you a sustained energy boost:
1. Beet Root And Spinach Energy Drink
Beet root is rich in vitamins and minerals. The magnesium content in beet root is responsible for keeping your energy levels up.2 It can also prevent cancer and heart diseases. Iron-rich spinach can also boost your energy levels in addition to filling your stomach and keeping you satisfied for longer.
- 1 small beet root
- 1 apple
- 1 handful of spinach
- 1 lemon
- 2 celery stalks
- Add all the ingredients along with some ice, to a blender and blend them well.
- Pour the juice into a glass.
- Add some more ice and serve.
2. Mixed Berry Energy Drink
Berries are sweet and have a low glycemic index, which means that they raise the blood sugar gradually. They are excellent energy boosters with their natural sugars and antioxidants. Lemon and mint along with berries can make you feel refreshed and rejuvenated.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mixed berries
- 1 lemon
- 4 or 5 mint leaves
- In a blender, squeeze
- Pour it into a glass and serve cold.
3. Protein Packed Energy Drink
Protein is a great source of long-lasting energy as it takes longer than carbohydrates to break down in the body.3
This drink includes protein and healthy fats that will keep you going throughout the day. Furthermore, it contains sugars that release slowly which prevents the sudden dip in energy levels.
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- 1 tablespoon of vegan protein powder
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon of hemp seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon of flax seeds
- 1/2 banana
- Blend all the ingredients to form a smooth mixture.
- Serve this protein-rich smoothie cold.
4. All Green Energy Drink
Leafy greens like kale and spinach are full of vitamins, and
Low in calories, cucumber also contains vitamin B and carbohydrates that can give you a long-lasting energy boost.
- 2 small cucumber
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup of kale leaves
- Squeeze half a lemon into a blender.
- All the rest of the ingredients and blend.
- Ensure that a homogenous mixture is formed.
- Top it with crushed ice and serve.
5. Chia And Green Tea Energy Drink
Low-carb chia seeds can give you stable energy as they are nutrient dense with protein, healthy fats, and fiber. Instead of grabbing a cup of coffee when you are low on energy, try green tea. It will speed up your metabolism in addition to giving you a quick energy boost.4
Also, honey is a natural sweetener and a great substitute for sugar.
- 1 cup green tea
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Add honey to the warm green tea and allow it to cool.
- Once it is completely cooled, add the chia seeds and stir.
- Add a few ice cubes and stir.
- Serve cold.
6. Banana And Orange Energy Drink
Coconut water is a natural refresher and energy booster. Bananas contain natural sugars that give you instant energy. Likewise, oranges are rich in vitamins and minerals and give you a natural shot of energy. They also give the drink a citrusy flavor.5
- 1/2 cup coconut water
- 1/2 cup vegan milk
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1/2 orange
- Form a smooth mixture using a blender.
- Take a glass and add a few ice cubes to it.
- Pour the energy drink into the glass and serve.
Note: Ensure that you wash all the fruits and greens
|↑1||Seifert, Sara M., Judith L. Schaechter, Eugene R. Hershorin, and Steven E. Lipshultz. “Health effects of energy drinks on children, adolescents, and young adults.” Pediatrics (2011): peds-2009.|
|↑2||Baldec Juliana. Detox Drinks:
|↑3||Powell Chris. Chris Powell’s Choose More, Lose More for Life. Hachette UK, 2013.|
|↑4||Bowden Jonny. The Most Effective Ways on Earth to Boost Your Energy: The Surprising, Unbiased Truth about Using Nutrition, Exercise, Supplements, Stress Relief, and Personal
|↑5||Davidson John; Usman M. Health Benefits of Oranges For Cooking and Health. JD-Biz Corp Publishing, 2013.|