Aging is a natural process, but your lifestyle choices and diet can make it better or worse. There are various products in the market that prevent the aging process, but we undo the benefits by our unhealthy eating habits.
Apart from various synthetic products that promise dramatic anti-aging results, superfoods also plays a vital role in the aging process.
“You are what you eat” is an old adage that has never been more true. Know these 5 anti-aging superfoods and how they benefit you.
This dark green leafy vegetable native to Asia is considered as a functional superfood due to its high nutritional content. Spinach is rich in iron, a mineral that plays a vital role in carrying oxygen to all the cells of the body.1
Just like the other organs in the body, our skin needs nutrients to make it healthy and glowing. Here are some of the benefits of spinach:
- It is loaded with vitamin C, E, and beta-carotene that works to protect your skin from the sun’s UV rays.
- It contains antioxidants that help combat free radicals, the number one factor of premature aging of the skin.
- The antioxidants also aid in the growth of skin cells.
- The vitamin K in spinach, along with folate, helps fight inflammation that causes acne, dry itchy skin, bruising on the skin, and dark circles.
2. Green Tea
Green tea is another anti-aging superstar that keeps your skin wrinkle-free and younger looking. For many years, green tea has been touted to be beneficial for the skin. It is those antioxidants again that provides a number of benefits for the skin.
Keeping a bunch of antioxidants in your body helps prevent the onset
3. Goji Berries
Goji berries are native to China but their popularity has made it through various parts of the globe. You’ll probably find these berries sold in a dried form or as a juice concentrate.
This bright orange-red berry has long been heralded for its antioxidants and essential nutrients. It mainly contains various antioxidants and vitamin E that are all essential for a soft glowing skin.3
Spices like cardamom, cayenne
- Cayenne and paprika are a good source of vitamins A and C and act as antioxidants known to fight the free radicals that damages the skin collagen.
- Turmeric contains a substance called curcumin that has anti-inflammatory properties. This anti-inflammatory agent reduces inflammation such as acne.5
- Cardamom helps cleanse the skin, thereby removing all toxins and promoting a natural glow.6
- Ginger contains 40 antioxidants that eliminate toxins and stimulate circulation.7
- Cinnamon stimulates the blood vessels,
Tomatoes are not just lovely superfoods but also a nutritious addition to your diet. According to a study by German researchers, the lycopene in tomatoes helps protects the skin from oxidation, which results from sun damage, causing premature ageing.
The study involved two different groups that were offered a daily shot of tomato paste mixed with olive oil and just plain olive oil for a 10-week period. The group who regularly consumed tomato had 40 percent less sunburn than those who consumed olive oil only.