Every action and behavior we take in life begins with a thought. This includes those that are subconscious as well. Even words can affect what we do, depending on the context they were stated. The more emotions you have behind anything you say tend to create that same level of behavior afterwards.
There are only two mistakes one can make along the road of life, not going all the way, and not starting.
I know that I’ve said things with such emotion that at times I’ve regretted saying them. Emotions are a cornerstone in all we do. Since we’re not robots, we’re driven emotionally. That’s even if we think we are rational. The truth is that we’re not like Mr. Spock of Star Trek.
In getting fit many tend to knock themselves down. It may be because they expect too much too soon. They may even believe that being perfect is the only way. Hence…
The first mental mistake is that of perfectionism.
I know of people who won’t workout falsely believing that they have to be
By the way, a bad self-image, low self-esteem and fear of failure can be related to perfectionism.
The second mental mistake is that of false beliefs.
Too many people falsely believe that they’re not able to workout. They may believe that they are big-boned and it’s the reason why they are heavy. Guess what? There is no such thing as being big-boned. Whether you’re skinny or fat at the same height, your bones are going to be the same size. The difference is the size of one’s wrist (as an example) has to do
There are so many false beliefs permeating the minds of people regarding fitness that it’s become crazy. Mostly, it’s the false beliefs you have of yourself that is important. Just because your parents and/or siblings are fat, doesn’t mean you’re going to be. It’s all about living the kind of lifestyle that leads you to true health and fitness. Don’t let your false beliefs sabotage your fitness efforts.
The third mental mistake is the of procrastination to inaction (inertia).
Many people will procrastinate from time-to-time. This is a given. It’s only when it leads to inertia (like a couch potato) will is hinder you on a regular basis and lead to increasing obesity and related health issues. Many people, after awhile, will get comfortable in not moving. I’ll forget when a lady told me that she drives her car to a neighbor’s house just two doors down from her house. She told me that it’s too far for her to walk. I was thinking, “Is she for real?” That is
Things you can do to overcome each of these mental mistakes…
- Associate with others who can help get you going in fitness. They can also be a support system as well.
- Make a plan and set small goals towards the bigger goals. That’s if you’re goal-oriented. It’s not necessary to do so if you decide to live each day in physical movement and healthy eating. For others, goals can help develop habits of a fit life. Start from there and then simply move towards health and fitness as an everyday part of your life. Soon it will become the best habit you ever established.
- Have a powerful “reason why” you want to get fit. Keep that at the forefront as a personal motivator to keep you going.
- Keep a journal and write down the mental issues you may have. Look for the triggers that create your negative behaviors. From there, either change each negative trigger or get rid of it.
- Read and learn everything you can about health and fitness. Then take action on one thing at a time
I hope each of these tips can help you get on the road to health and fitness. Ultimately it is up to you to do just that. Believe in yourself and JUST DO IT!