10 Surprising Things That Are Actually Unhealthy

Germs can hide in unexpected places in your house. Sure, you go all-out on the weekends, bring out your cleaning tools, and scrub every corner of your house. But germs like to stay hidden in the least expected places. And while we are it, take a good look at your daily routine. Besides your diet and physical activity, do you believe you are leading a healthy life? This is what we are talking about.

1. Antibacterial Soap

1-Antibacterial-Soap

Washing your hands with antibacterial soap does kill bacteria, but what about the viruses? Your antibacterial soaps do not kill the viruses that are the causes behind your cough, cold, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Some studies suggest that antibacterial soaps also could stimulate cancer-causing cells, and help them grow. Studies have shown that people who use antibacterial soaps and cleansers develop a cough, runny nose, sore throat, fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms just as often as people who use regular soaps.

Part of the reason

Advertisements
for this is because most of these symptoms are actually caused by viruses, which antibacterial soaps can’t kill. But even for symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea, which may be caused by bacteria, using antibacterial soaps will offer you no advantage over plain soap and water. So, the rational conclusion is antibacterial soaps are completely unnecessary for the purpose of washing away bacteria.

2. Your Chair

2-Your-Chair

While this isn’t a place for germs, For how long do you sit on your chair in a day?

Sitting in a place for more than 10 hours a day can shut your body down and prepare you for death. You will be at a higher risk of developing heart diseases and type 2 diabetes. At the molecular level, your body was designed to be active and on the move all day long. Remind yourself that you need to leave your chair for a few minutes every hour.

3. Whitening and Antibacterial Toothpaste

wp-image-105594" src="https://curejoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/3-Whitening-and.jpg" alt="3-Whitening-and" width="1200" height="900" srcset="https://i2.wp.com/curejoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/3-Whitening-and.jpg?w=1200&ssl=1 1200w, https://i2.wp.com/curejoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/3-Whitening-and.jpg?resize=300%2C225&ssl=1 300w, https://i2.wp.com/curejoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/3-Whitening-and.jpg?resize=1024%2C768&ssl=1 1024w, https://i2.wp.com/curejoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/3-Whitening-and.jpg?resize=827%2C620&ssl=1 827w" sizes="(max-width: 696px) 100vw, 696px" />

A whitening toothpaste can actually slowly scrub off your teeth enamel, making your teeth more sensitive and fragile. Look out for triclosan in your toothpaste which is the real villain. Many commercial brands may be loaded with toxic toothpaste ingredients, like sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), artificial sweeteners, fluoride, propylene glycol, and microbeads. The latter pose a risk to the environment and have been found getting trapped under patients’ gums. This gives food and bacteria an entrance to your gum line, which could actually cause gum disease. It’s possible to make your own toothpaste and avoid many of the pitfalls of commercial varieties.

4. Cotton Swabs

4-Cotton-Swabs

Cotton swabs take out all the itchy ear wax out of your ears. Your ear cleans your ears naturally, and should not be removed mechanically from your ear. The cotton swabs can push wax deeper into your ear

Advertisements
near your eardrum and harm it. It can pose long-term damage to your ear and impact your hearing too. When earwax is pushed deep into your ear where it doesn’t belong, it can bring fungus, bacteria, and viruses from the outer ear into the inner ear, increasing the risk of infection.

It can also block your ear canal, leading to hearing loss, or even cause a ruptured eardrum. It’s a vicious cycle, too, because the more you rub your ears with cotton swabs, the more histamine will be released, which makes your skin irritated and inflamed. This, in turn, may make you want to insert a cotton swab again, leading to additional dryness and irritation.

5. Humidifier

5-Humidifier

Heaters in cold temperatures can lead to dry air with low humidity. This can lead to dry skin, irritated sinuses, and itchy eyes. If you do not maintain your humidifier well, they can emit toxic air through them, which leads to many health issues.

6.
Advertisements
Loofah

6-Loofah

A loofah is a must in your bathroom to scrub all the dead skin off your body. But if kept in wet and humid places, they can be a new habitat for mold, bacteria, and fungi. As you run the loofah on your skin, small cuts and scratches can let them pass into your skin and cause skin issues. In serious issues, it can lead to impetigo, folliculitis, etc.

If you love to use a loofah, choose one made of natural fiber, which will naturally contain enzymes to inhibit microbial growth. Always replace loofahs monthly. After each use, wring it out and allow it to dry thoroughly – and store it in a cool, dry spot.

7. Blender

7-Blender

Blenders are handy for whipping up healthy morning smoothies but if you’re not washing yours properly, it could be a problem.

Advertisements
The blender gasket (the rubber ring that holds the blade portion of the blender in place) has been found to be the third item with the most germs in the kitchen and research showed it commonly harbored salmonella, E. coli, yeast, and mold.

The solution is simple – when you’re done using your blender, be sure to disassemble it completely and wash each part, including the gasket, well.

8. Nail Tools

8-Nail-Tools

Pumice stones, cuticle clippers, and other tools to pamper your nails, harbor all the gems you carry on your nails. These germs can potentially cause skin infections. Wash your tools in soapy water after you use them.

9. Rubber And Wooden Spatula

9-Rubber-and-Wooden-Spatula

No matter how much you process them, rubber and wooden spatulas decay. Also, once you wash them and do not dry them well, they can harbor yeast, fungus,

Advertisements
E. coli, and mold.

10. Stuffed Animals

10-Stuffed-Animals

No surprise here. Stuffed animals collect dust and mites, which can cause respiratory issues, leaving you with an itchy and runny nose. Put your stuffed animals in a plastic bag, and leave it in a freezer overnight, as dust mites die in the cold.